2020 GID CANDIDATE STAEMENT
I am a full time resident of Skyland for the last 6 years. My career for the prior 45 years, I am a CPA (certified public accountant) also a CFP (certified financial planner). After leaving public accounting, I went into the private sector of business was a Controller for Intel and CFO (Chief Financial Officer) for a couple Fortune 500 Companies. I retired 6 years ago and move here (Skyland). I guess I am semi-retired, as after moving here I started working for Heavenly in the Ski School and will be starting my 7th season this month.
I am interested in continuing to serve on the board for the Skyland GID. My wife Kerstin and I are full-time, year-round residents in Skyland, with this as our only home.
There are a number of things that qualify me for this role, and I think that I would do it well. My unique background includes:
-An MBA degree from Berkeley, earned in 2014. Also, I work as a financial advisor. I have a very strong understanding of numbers, finances, taxes, etc.
-Fifteen years as a school teacher. This includes 5 years on the negotiating team for the school teacher’s union. In this role, we had to assign different levels of importance to different features of the contract, and then work together with the Board of Education to create a fair contract.
-Four years as a national team athlete (including being selected as an Olympic Alternate in 2018), and my current role as Secretary General of the Israeli Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation. This highlights to my ability to work at a high level, both alone and in coordination with others.
-I am a member of the Tahoe-Douglas Rotary. This speaks to my desire to give back to our community.
1055 Skyland Dr. - firstname.lastname@example.org - (530) 318-9541
My wife Toni and I have just moved here. It will be a year in November. We had lived in the “Keys” for 12 years and decided we needed to live in a “neighborhood” and get out of California.
My professional career has been in the movie business. I retired after 18 years, with Sony Pictures, where I was the Senior Vice President of Engineering. During that time, I managed the design and development of many recording stages. I developed the budgets and procurement as well as the electronic implementation for the entire sound department.
When we moved in to the “Keys”, I felt the need to become involved in our community. I joined the Architectural Committee and after two years I became the Chairman. I also served a term as an elected board member.
I am running for the position of Trustee out of my concern for our neighborhood.
I feel my talents in management and electronics could be a way to help other more seasoned board members do their jobs easier.
190 Ray Way, Skyland NV 8944 - email@example.com - 775.580.7530
To: Skyland Residents
I am writing to you to express my interest in becoming a member of the Board of Directors for Skyland GID.
The following is an overview of my qualifications.
- Permanent resident of Skyland,
- 30 years’ experience in the banking industry.
- Taught economics and finance in the bay area for undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Well versed in NRS 318 (Nevada Revised Statutes regarding General Improvement Districts) and NRS 116 (Nevada Revised Statutes regarding Common-Interest Ownership) regulations.
- Extensive experience in HOA Management and NRS Laws.
- Elected numerous times as Treasurer for Lake Village HOA board (12 years).
- Chaired Lake Village HOA finance committee while treasurer.
- Regularly interacted with the CPA of Lake Village as to the Budget.
- Initiated discussions with Lake Village board to approve installation of better monetary policies and expand investment policies within in bylaws.
- Extensive background in commercial lending and banking.
I feel that my experience would be a great benefit to the Skyland board.
Candidate for Douglas County Skyland GID
Bio: I am a 25 year resident of Douglas County, currently residing in Zephyr Cove.
I have been a Flotilla Commander for the United States Coast Guard Aux. and CERT team member.
I am married and have 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren; all residing in Douglas County.
I am running for Skyland GID because I am concerned about our neighborhood. I have never run for public office, but I feel it’s time to get involved and hopefully steer the direction of our general improvement district towards a more conservative, Judeo-Christian view like our nation was founded on making our homes and water front safe.
Zephyr Cove, NV 89448
I am Dennis Berry and I've lived on Willow Dr. in Skyland for the last 16 years. My rough history is Valley College, Northridge, LA trade Tech, 2 years active Coast Guard, 18 years contractor with the Department of Defense, and 33 years at CBS Inc. (there was overlap). Functionally my late wife and I were commercial pilots and we moved classified material on an on-demand basis in our civilian aircraft (9 passenger Beechcraft). At CBS I ended being the engineering/maintenance department instructor and was charged with making the transition to high definition postproduction work, for this I received an Emmy. Sony Inc. published some of my writings on high definition. My specialty is doing the research so I would understand how things/programs function and then to make them work. My reason for running for the GID, at this time, is that I have found I need the status of a GID trustee to be effective in my efforts to find options and prices for the GID and public.
Dennis Berry, 775-588-7317
My wife Bobby and I have lived here in Skyland for over four years and are year-round residents in this beautiful place. As a little background on myself, I received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia in environmental sciences and was later awarded a master’s degree in geology from the University of Texas at Austin. Following graduation from Texas, I joined an environmental consulting firm in Austin where I developed expertise in hydrogeology, engineering geology, and assessment of contaminant-impacted sites. In 1993, I was promoted to program manager for a $200M U.S. Navy environmental assessment and cleanup contract in Hawaii that was responsible for investigating and remediating problematic military contamination sites throughout the Pacific. In 2008, I relocated to Seoul, Korea to provide program management for construction of a new $10.3B U.S. military base in Pyeongtaek, Korea, providing oversight of design and construction of infrastructure for the new base, including sewer, storm water, roads, electrical, gas, water, and telecommunications.
My educational and work experiences have given me a number of capabilities which I believe would be valuable as a trustee for the GID:
- Overseeing design and construction of various infrastructure including roads, storm water conveyances, and lighting/electrical. This includes capability in providing quality assurance of contractor work products and construction efforts.
- Detailed management of design and construction contractors, including programming of projects, preparation of detailed scopes-of-work and contract documents, reviewing and commenting on contractor work products, overseeing construction implementation, and ensuring proper project close-out.
- Strong background in environmental issues, including storm water best management practices and interactions between groundwater and storm water. For the US military base in Korea, I was responsible for overseeing implementation of various measures to allow onsite treatment and capture of stormwater at newly-constructed base facilities.
- Experience in interacting with regulatory agencies, public works departments, and various architect and engineering professionals.
My interest in being a GID trustee centers on my desire to maintain and enhance the wonderful neighborhood in which we live. My ability to supervise planning, programming, design, procurement, and construction quality for the infrastructure projects for which the GID has responsibility will result in the timely completion of projects in a high quality fashion.
Jonathan Herwig 530-416-1590